24.1.10

The Atomium

On Tuesday me and Paije took the tram to the north end of the city to see something they call the "Atomium." It was built in 1958 for the Brussels world fair. It was suppose to be torn down after the exhibition but I guess they thought it was cool enough to keep because its still there 50 years later.

I had the cutest little tour guide. Her job is to hold the guide book and look cute for photos.
Doesn't she do a good job!The AtomiumYou can also ride up to one of the orbitals. I was too cheap to do it though.
$12 is way too expensive!

I thought this painting on the side of a building was neat. There are murals like this one all over the city. Its fun to come across them.
Ben tells me that this park is beautiful in the summer. I had to use my imagination since it was a rather muddy dreary place this time of year. I did think the green tree trucks were cool though.
We also visited these amazing Japanese and Chinese structures that the King of Brussels in 1905 had constructed. The current King still uses the Japaneses tower so we were only able to tour the lower portion of the building.

The Chinese house which use to be a restaurant for the Kings guests but is now a museum.

7 comments:

the Pearce Place said...

we used to play ultimate frisbee at the atomium when I was a missionary!! Oh the memories :) Thanks for letting me reminise a little.

LeeAnn said...

That looks like a cool place. It's great you have such a cool place to explore with Paije. She seems to be a natural born traveler.

Karen said...

Fun outing!! The grass is still green there. That's not totally dreary then!l

April Bishop said...

Thanks for all the pictures. We are all living vicarioulsy through you...

David & Brenda said...

Thank you for being so prolific in sharing photos and your adventure. Like you, Bonnie, the world pulls at me. It is wonderful watching your life unfold. By the way, Paige is adorable!

Kristi the Book Lady said...

wow! You guys must be having a blast! You've seen some awesome things - I love following your blog! Can Paije get any cuter?!!

Carla and crew said...

So -what does the King of Belguim do in the Japanese Tower??