9.6.09

Smiking

As I was riding my bike home from bar prep lecture today, I saw one of my fellow students light up a cigarette, and then hop on his bike and ride off; he was smiking (smoking and biking). At first, I thought about how contradictory it was to smoke and bike at the same time, as any health benefit gained by biking would be offset by smoking. But then I thought about it some more and realized that I didn't quite have enough information to determine whether smiking has a net benefit or a net loss or whether the benefits and harms equal each other out exactly. So, I was hoping that you could help me out with some of your thoughts on this very important matter (It seems that studying 12 hours a day for the NY bar exam has made my brain do loopy things, like fixating on solving pointless problems - I'll be all better in August after the bar is over!).

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Individual benefits of biking:

-Good for your lungs
-Good exercise
-Sunshine

Individual harms of biking:

-You might get run over by a car

Public benefits of biking:

-Less auto pollution
-Fewer cars on the road - less traffic and fewer car accidents

Public harms of biking:

-When bikers bike in the middle of the road, it is annoying to try to pass them

Private benefits of smoking:

-You look really cool to some people
-They help you get rid of excess money

Private harms of smoking:

-Cancer?

Public harms of smoking:

-Secondhand smoke

So, here are some of my thoughts on the matter. Did I miss anything? Here are some examples of smikers:



This is what I meant about looking cool




Even Leo is a smiker!




Smiking: A worlwide phenomenon!

4 comments:

the Pearce Place said...

Uncle Ben,
Just a few things to add to individual harms of smoking:

1) Coronary artery disease (increased rate of heart attacks, congestive heart failure and death from abnormal heart rhythms)
2) raspy voice
3) cancer of the lips and mouth
4) throat and esophageal cancer
5) lung cancer (14 times greater risk of dying from this)
6) bladder cancer
7) pancreatic cancer
8) emphysema and bronchitis
9) poor circulation in legs (may have to be amputated)
10) stroke
11) increase in pneumonia and upper respiratory tract illnesses
12) addiction

-Mikaela
Call with questions.

Linda Westover said...

Here's another individual harm of smoking -- at least in my feminine mind: That cute chick (or guy) you are trying to attract is NOT going to want to kiss that tobacco-flavored mouth and breath!

Best wishes as you study for the big test!

Dan said...

Hey Bonnie,

We love stalking your blog. I guess you can check ours out. :D It's danjenlewis.blogspot.com

Dan

scott said...

This is a funny idea.

I have a reason for smiking: One is that biking on the road is nerve racking and smoking calms nerves therefore you have to smoke to stay calm biking in the city! lol

Or maybe its health neutral. We know that exercise can reverse the effects of smoking so maybe the tar built up from previous months of smoking is being broken down by biking while you are adding more while smiking.

Lastely, it is better than smoke walking/standing: riding a bike burns through the cig faster therefore you will inhale less nicotine. So if you smoke it would be better for you to smike! lol

Ill try to think of more counter arguments...